13 September 2010

Crockpot applesauce success

After an ambitious morning spent organizing the attic (yeesh!) and decorating the house in autumn decor, I felt an overwhelming craving for some homemade applesauce. I have truly become domestic.

Peeling apple after apple left my hand sore, and I was continually wishing I had this helpful device. By my next attempt at applesauce or an apple pie, I hope to have this in my possession.


I looked at approximately a dozen recipes for applesauce in the crockpot. They were all pretty similar with only slight variations. 

I used: 8 medium apples (peeled and cored, sliced into small pieces), 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. I mixed the ingredients in a large bowl before transferring to the crockpot. I added in 1/2 cup water to the mixture and stirred well before putting on the lid.I stirred the applesauce once an hour or so, trying to break up the softened apples.

After about 4 hours on the low setting, the applesauce was done (and the house smelled amazing). The recipes recommended 8 hours, but the taste test (yum!) indicated that it was ready.

It was delicious! I'll absolutely be making this easy treat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment