15 September 2010

No more chemical cleaning products!


In a recent conversation with a very dear aunt, I began to further understand the unnecessary use of chemicals in my daily life. My aunt mentioned that she has only been using vinegar or baking soda as cleaning products for the last few months. This fascinated me for a few reasons: a) less money spent on cleaning products, b) better for the environment, c) resourceful use of regular household items. 

I am a cleaner and organizer, so being true to form, my under-sink area is full of various products. I got to thinking about how much money I probably spent on all of these... and truthfully, it was a lot.

In the last few weeks, I have been on a kick to simplify things around the house (downgrading our cable, cleaning out closets and the attic, fewer trips to the store). And this morning I used my last Clorox wipe. I am officially going to switch over to vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice as part of my detox.

After looking online at the uses of these three natural products, I realized I can clean nearly everything without other chemical products. Baking soda can be used to get rid of smells in the refrigerator or to scour the tub. Vinegar is my new favorite product for its multitude of uses (many more than I ever imagined). I have already used it in the shower after shampooing to get rid of styling product buildup and add shine. Thirdly, lemon juice is not only a disinfectant but also adds a clean scent to garbage disposals.

For more ways to use these three products, check out the following links:
- baking soda: http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/bakingsoda
- vinegar: http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7
- lemon juice: http://www.ehow.com/how_2212471_clean-lemon-juice.html

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I love coming across a fellow new blogger!

    I've been on the same spree of simplifying. I'm also suddenly very concious of making "greener" choices, so I love the idea of natural cleaning products.

    Have you found any suggestions for a chemical free way to clean hardwood floors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also use white vinegar and water to soak my veggies and fruits. It helps to remove the chemicals for those of us who cannot afford all organic produce.

    ReplyDelete