16 September 2010

Pumpkins, how i love you

I caved and already put a pumpkin on our front steps. I know it's early... and normally I like to wait a bit longer, but that little bugger makes me happy when I walk up the steps to our front door.

On another pumpkin-related note, a friend told me yesterday that the pumpkin canning industry has stocked grocery shelves for this fall after last year's shortage (people were selling canned pumpkin on Ebay last year!). This is good news for the 50 million pumpkin pies that are baked each year for Thanksgiving.

Today, on the rainy morning that blankets (and demotivates) me, I decided to do a little pumpkin scouting. Part of this is really just a good excuse to hunt on Etsy (one of my favorite sites for all things homemade) for some homemade goodies.

Etsy has an enormous collection of natural bath products, and I am loving these pumpkin-inspired soaps. I would love to purchase all of them. Self control is difficult.





I also have a ridiculous love for seasonal children's books. I can't get enough of the illustrations that depict each season's activities. This was part of my personality long before I became a teacher (it just made more sense as a teacher). For those of you with small kiddos, here are some pumpkin/autumn book recommendations from a prior teacher:
- Pumpkin Town by Katie McKy
- From Seed to Pumpkin by Wendy Pfeffer
- The Biggest Pumpkin Ever by Steven Kroll
- Let it Fall by Maryann Cocca-Leffler
- Strega Nona's Harvest by Tomie dePaolo

If I make it to the store (on a rainy day it never seems appealing), I plan to make these delicious little morsels. You can get the recipe here.

1 comment:

  1. Ha, you've solved a mystery in my household. We always keep canned pumpkin in our pantry because you can use it to help relieve a doggy tummy ache. (We have a beagle.) We needed some earlier this year and couldn't find any! Now I know I should have checked ebay. ;)

    ReplyDelete